"...where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty."
-2 Corinthians 3:17 (NASB)

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
~John Adams

12.19.2008

Browser Wars!

Well, I've received advice from many friends to start blogging again. I know I have almost no readers, but it still seems like quite a shame to leave this blog so empty.

So I'm starting a series: Browser Wars!

I'm a pretty hard core researcher, as some of you could probably tell. I've done a lot of work through speech and debate, and I even got a researching job. This means that I have LOTS of experience with web browsers and how to efficiently use them. I'll share some of the experiences and research on the browser powerhouses, and maybe some of those browsers that are "up and coming," not really powerhouses.

What a great time to start. Micro$oft has shown us, yet again, why you DON'T want to use Internet Explorer. According to an article from BBC news, this hack (which now has a patch, thankfully) would have allowed malicious hackers to take control of your computer and steel your passwords.

Very frightening, yet M$ doesn't think you ought to switch to a more secure browser, even temporarily:
"I cannot recommend people switch due to this one flaw," said John Curran, head of Microsoft UK's Windows group.

He added: "We're trying to get this resolved as soon as possible.


Microsoft is completely in denial when it comes to how vulnerable their browser is.

Internet Explorer is not a solid wall protecting you and your data; it's Swiss Cheese. What's sad it that still boasts an overwhelming majority of web users.


All of that blue area was vulnerable to the attack for almost a week (from about December 13, when the hack was noticed, until this patch was released).

Hopefully I can convince you to leave the majority and you'll be a safer, smarter web user. Internet Exploiter's [sic] days are numbered, so stay tuned! In the meantime, check out one of my links, Browse Happy!

7 comments:

  1. Well, I'm one of your Firefox converts. I was just thinking the other day that I needed to get my mom to switch over.

    Maybe, if you posted more, you would get more readers :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also not in the majority... I use Safari, which you can only use if you use a mac. So I'm probably the green or turquoise bit. :)

    I'm with Toni; more posts=more readers. To a certain extent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.apple.com/safari/

    Safari is actually available in Windows now. Given, it's a beta, but still... it's there.

    Apple says their browser is WAY faster than any competitor, but the article I came across pointed out that 1) the test they used (iBench) is lighyears old; 2) the time safari records is less than the time it actually takes to see the page.

    Still a very neat browser.

    > < > Brian

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like fire fox. and I really like the "ad blocker" :) I remember you were talking about Opera at ARC?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I kid you not, when I first saw this in my dashboard of blogs I follow, I automatically thought it was from the Google blog. ;D

    A recent PC Mag
    blip had some good info about browser speed and RAM usage.

    I used Chrome for a whole day after it left Beta. The most annoying thing was that Chrome doesn't warn you when you're about to close a browser with multiple tabs open. So if you accidentally click close... then too bad.

    Keep it up Brian!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous23.12.08

    What do you think about Google Chrome?

    Alex M.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eventually, I'll have a detailed analysis of Chrome up on this blog, but for now here are some of the starter analysises:

    1) Google Chrome is nice and fast. The interfece isn't clogged with unnecessary junk. It's a pretty nice browser.

    2) That said, there really isn't anything revolutionary about Chrome. It uses Safari's rendering engine, takes code from Firefox, and IE8 beta beat it to seperate tab processes.

    3) Here's what will make Chome such a hit: the name. Google is now the internet. It rules the computer world. Any browser with "Google" paisted on the front will attract tons of casual users and plenty of experienced users who just luv G to death.

    Go try it out. It's a nice browser, and no doubt you can find something to love about it.

    > < > Brian

    ReplyDelete